Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Against Scams Partnership
Citizens Advice Peterborough is a member of The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Against Scams Partnership (CAPASP). This is a county-wide partnership of public, private and voluntary sector organisations committed to working together to stop scams and doorstep crime across the county.
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Against Scams Partnership Charter
The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Against Scams Partnership (CAPASP) is a partnership of organisations committed to taking a stand against scams and aims to make Cambridgeshire and Peterborough a scam-free county.
Scams are fraud and fraud is crime. Being a victim of this crime can have a devastating impact. These crimes are often targeted at people in our communities that are vulnerable for a variety of reasons, including poverty, isolation, frailty, disability, cognitive impairment, and by the very nature of them being specifically targeted.
- 53% of people aged 65+ have been targeted by scams and criminals (Action Fraud)
- Scams cost the UK between £5-10 billion each year (Annual Fraud Indicator)
- Anyone can be a scam victim, regardless of age, gender, education or economic background
- Scam victims might not always admit (or be aware) that they are a victim of a scam. Only 5% of victims report the crime (Age UK 2015)
- Scams are the product of organised, predatory criminals who gain trust to exploit and steal money
For support and advice on scams (e.g. rogue traders, romance scams, scam mail, telephone calls, text messages, emails), call Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06.
For a non-emergency response (if you have been a victim of a fraud/scam), call Cambridgeshire Police on 101. If you have been affected by crime, get emotional and practical help from Cambridgeshire Victim and Witness Hub on 0800 781 6818.
To report a fraud, or suspected fraud, and share information to help stop others from becoming victims, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Find out more about CAPASP, and details of how to join the partnership, by visiting their website